Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Busy and Quiet Space

I named this painting: Party Fish! After somebody in class said it reminded her of an elegant dinner party with party fish swimming around under the floor. I want to go to that party!


There are all starts using old gelli prints that I will finish later. But kind of fun just like this.

In lesson 8, we’re exploring the contrast or balance between busy, active areas and quiet areas. We had to aim for the following distribution: 25% busy, about 25% transitional area and at least 50% quiet space. I used some old gelli plate prints that were pretty messy and added collage to them,  trying to turn something bad into something interesting. "Party Fish" was so hopeless for so long that I almost gave up on it. The more I was trying to save it, the worst it became and then I had nothing to lose so I ended up painting over the only parts that I actually liked and then it started turning around. I see Jane do this all the time, but it's hard for me to "kill my darlings" like she says. Sometimes you hold on to things you should just let go. But that doesn't mean that you are giving up!

1 comment: